Friday, September 12, 2008

why are watermelons green?

oops. that's all I can say.
Well, actually I'm perfectly capable of saying many other things, so I will go ahead.
Anyway, on to the watermelons. Why are they green? or are they? I once saw a purple watermelon while on a fishing trip. Rather shocked to find a melon of such hue, I had to ask, "what makes you purple?" The watermelon didn't speak for a very long time, and I finally gave up. My guess is that it was pondering my question for a very long time and finally decided that it was just not going to answer.
well, a couple days later, I found a letter addressed to me, and, to my surprise, it was from the purple watermelon, whose name was Stephen Pickens.
Here is what the letter said:

My dear sir,
I am sorry that I did not immediately answer your (most interesting, I must say) question, and I wish to make up for my mistake. That is the purpose of this letter.
To answer your question, I must first ask a question of my own: "why not?" Why wouldn't I be purple, such a deep, lustrous color, which represents such high things as royalty and upper class? Why are all the others green? [at this point, I stopped, and wondered why, since he had said "a question", he had asked 3. But I read on]
Here is the answer to your question, very simple indeed: think on the inside, not the out.

-your friend Stephen Pickens


After reading over the whole letter once again, I realized that the inside of watermelons are red, not green.
but then I wondered what color Stephen Pickens was inside, and I still haven't figured it out.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Because, when you plant a watermelon seed, the watermelon seed opens up into a beautiful watermelon tree. But it can only do that if it gets enough Green Liquid. So the farmers who grow watermelons in the wild bush of Spain pour lots and lots of Green Liquid on the newly planted seeds. The seeds suck in all the Green and that's why watermelons are green.
There is some specualtion that the farmers in the wild bush of Spain are all liars, and the watermelons are actually regular melons painted green, but this is entirely unsubstantiated.

Matt said...

well thanks for your input. Now read the rest of it.

Unknown said...

omg. Stephen Pickens was totally the name of my ex-wife.

Matt said...

is that so? Well would it surprise you to know that your skin is made of bubble wrap?

Emily said...

oh my! wow....um, ok.....

bubble wrap is no longer a random word, I'm sorry to say.

Matt said...

lol I know it's not random anymore (at least not to you and I) but I just felt like writing it.

Emily said...

lol, bubble wrap is fun!

You just gave me a great idea for a post :D

Matt said...

you'll like your very late birthday card.

okay...lol

morgan joy said...

umm just wanted to let you know i really enjoyed reading that. it made me laugh at several points... or at least it made me smile.

Matt said...

ROFL! really? haha, well I'm glad you enjoyed it.