Wednesday, April 29, 2009

live life to the fullest.

Live life to the fullest. Ever heard that before? I’m surprised if you haven’t. Anyway, I’ve been thinking , I haven’t been doing that lately. Part of being a Christian is putting off the rags of the old man and putting on the new man. But I haven’t done that yet. I feel guilty whenever I watch a movie or show with bad language or something in it, when I use inappropriate language myself (even if I’m just saying something ‘sucks’ – it doesn’t have to be a ‘cuss word’. Anything unacceptable should be avoided), or anything like that. I think living life to the fullest is living life as pleasing to God as possible. Which means casting off anything unrighteous, whatever it may be. I’ve broken (almost) every commandment, and I’m forgiven for that. But forgiven doesn’t mean just keep on doing it. It means stop it. When I ‘became’ a Christian, I was happy. By repeating the words of the prayer the pastor said during the invitation, I thought I was born again. I was a Christian. I could participate in the Lord’s supper. I didn’t realize until a while after that that being a Christian is a lot more than saying a prayer. It means you change. You can never put off all the things of the old man, but you can do your best. I haven’t done my best. That’s my goal though. I’m sickened by how un-Christian I can be sometimes. I want to do everything I can to please God, and in everything I do, I hope God will be pleased. Also I think it would be more pleasing to other people. And I think it would make life easier. Nothing should make a person happier than pleasing God.


I hope you could follow all that…it seems a little scattered to me.

2 comments:

Emily said...

I know what you mean. Good post. Being a Christian is definitely more than a prayer. But, I must correct you on one thing: it's not easier. God never promises us that. He only promises us that He's always with us, that He has a plan and that it's worth it. ;)

But yeah, I agree. I'll be praying for you, Matt...it's really, really tough sometimes. But it is SOOO worth it!! And, one thing I have realized is that the closer I walk with Christ, the more I am convicted of stuff in my life. Well, actually, I've been convicted about stuff I used to think was totally fine. So...it's kind a cool to me :)

Praying for you!

Matt said...

Well, life as a Christian is not easier, that's true. That's not exactly what I meant...I'm not sure how to explain what I meant by that. I guess I meant the harder times of life are easier to get through if God is always on the mind.

Thanks. Yes it is. It takes trying really hard sometimes, but I would never even think of 'giving up' or something. No way.

thanks :)